Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Plunder and Percussion

I was reading a little bit of a book entitled "A Walk in the Woods." at lunch today. In this particular chapter, the author was discussing how woods can disorient and make people uncomfortable. Sometimes, they can even be 'spooky.' I don't know if I really think the same thing, but then again I haven't gone out into them for days upon days, as the author was doing. However, woods are a place of wonder, and of new dangers and challenges. Such as plunder and percussion. Confused? Think of all the ways these words can be used in the woods--either in good, bad, dangerous, glad ways. Plunder: A bear or raccoon raiding a campsite, a poacher doing poaching stuff, even a hiker taking a cool rock. Maybe even photographers, trying to steal the beauty of the woods and tame it. I don't know if I even believe that... Percussion, the crash of a tree, the rustle of the wind, a startled deer, the repetitive steps of a heavy-footed hiker...

The list could go on and on...what do the woods mean to me, to you? Personally, I see it as a place of awe, of peace and rest and a perfect love. How, I'm not sure, but it lightens my spirits. But also, of an ever-present God, who is there, and here, and turning to Him lightens, experiencing Him lifts my spirits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home